BrandQuery recently completed a wayfinding program for the City of Anacortes. Not long before that project, we designed wayfinding programs for the City of Burlington and Bellingham Technical College’s new Campus Center.
Here are six things to consider when designing a wayfinding program:
- Scale: A two-inch letter can be read from a distance of 60 feet.
- Layout: Flush-left words best guide a motorist’s eyes.
- Quantity: Three destinations per sign location is recommended (four tops).
- Alignment: Consistently align directional arrows on one side of all signs.
- Simplicity: Keep it simple. Use directionals and words or destinations people understand.
- Consistency: Continuity is key to any successful wayfinding program.